Re: [LUG] OpenCD / OpenDisc / Something?

On 16/07/13 18:34, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Ideally I would like a CD/DVD with plenty of Free Software for Windows/Mac
> and a nice graphical interface (could be just a webpage) - something along
> the lines of the OpenCD / OpenDisc. I would prefer it if the disc didn't
> have a bootable Linux system on it - just Win/Mac installable software. It
> seems that lately my brain has turned to fudge as I'm really struggling to
> find anything that is like the old OpenCD / OpenDisc thing.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Cheers.
> Grant. :)

Thinking about it, rather than struggling along with maintaining a
software repository it might be more useful to introduce them to
ninite.com - all of the software on there is at least free as in beer,
and the majority of it is free as in freedom as well. If you keep the
micro-installer file on the system(s) it's used on and rerun it
periodically, it will seamlessly handle upgrades too as well as the
initial automated install. Best of all, it will provide sane
answers/defaults to any questions the individual installers ask so it
won't allow preferred application settings changes, install toolbars,
install bundled chrome, etc.

I know this isn't what you asked for, but it's probably a better option
in many ways, especially if you're looking for an easy, nearly
fool-proof way to introduce new users to free software. For Macs, I'd
give up if I were you. Considering the current versions default to
refusing to install anything but signed applications delivered via the
appstore, it's arguable that any user already smart enough to discover
this, disable it in System Preferences and then go out onto the internet
to hunt down the package they want doesn't need a disc of freeware as
they're quite capable of managing it themselves.

Regards

* not associated with ninite in any way, just a happy user