Re: [LUG] OpenCD / OpenDisc / Something?

On 16/07/13 18:43, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
On 16 July 2013 18:37, Matt Lee <mattl@xxxxxxxx <mailto:mattl@xxxxxxxx>>
wrote:

    There's this stuff, I put together a couple years back:
    http://www.fsf.org/working-together/moving

    If there's any updates there, send them to campaigns@xxxxxxx
    <mailto:campaigns@xxxxxxx> :)

Thanks Matt.

I was hoping for a CD/DVD image - I know it's me being lazy, but
honestly first impressions count and if I were to download the
installers and make my own "front end" to it all, it really wouldn't
look that good.

I'm doing a short presentation about Free Software to my local business
networking group(s) and I would like to be able to offer the discs.

Grant.

Paul has been working on his own version of The Open Disc but just needs help with a front end. I was working on a custom version of The OpenDisc too but it's wayyyy out of date, I still have the files somewhere but I don't have the time or patience at the moment to update it.

It's something I'd consider mentioning to the powers that be at work, but then there's the whole issue of supporting the thing when Joe Bloggs comes in off the street, buys a copy and has issues... first place they'd probably look if they weren't computer savy is the place they got it from... a charity shop of not to computer savy staff would probably then refer it to head office... and it would no doubt get back to me to provide support or tell the customers of the disc where they could get support.

If you really want what I've got kicking around I can upload it somewhere (it's around 900MB). I started adding a whole load more applications and doing updated screen shots, but this was pre-Windows 7 (or around the launch of Windows 7, so the screen shots could probably do with updating).

I see The OpenDisc is no longer with us too.

As for the Mac side of things, well I did briefly look into that, the issue I had was testing it (and these days would it be worth supporting PPC Macs, I guess the question would also be, would it be worth supporting pre-Windows XP machines too?).

The menu system from the OpenDisc is based on K-Meleon which looks like it doesn't have a Mac version, so something would need to be put together for a Mac frontend, or maybe it could be possible to just make a hybrid Windows/Mac image where the Mac side opens a Window with the installers and a nice background (there's a little something on how to do this sort of thing with a .dmg image here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/96882/how-do-i-create-a-nice-looking-dmg-for-mac-os-x-using-command-line-tools).

Maybe a few us as a LUG could put something together. I'm not sure if it's possible to use some sort of versioning system to colaborate on adding stuff (the menu system is all html, CSS and images with some text launcher files which open the EXE installers for the individual applications).

Rob