Re: [LUG] Your ISP - and IPv6

On 07/07/13 13:06, Kai Hendry wrote:
I've investigated ipv6 in Singapore with M1 and AAISP in UK.

AAISP do a very good job, but many ISPs elsewhere don't care about
ipv6 and don't sort out the routing. So you can enjoy hilarious
experiences like Youtube on IPv6 is practically unusable in Singapore.
You have to turn off ipv6 to get decent buffering.

Ultimately I really don't think ipv4 exhaustion really matters. ipv6
tunnels are a PITA. Hurricane Electric is slow.

ipv6 seems great to me when you are managing large internal networks.

Cheers,

Thanks for all the people who have replied to this. As the OP I have not replied for a couple of days because we have been away for the weekend for a family wedding. Just got back and found plenty of reading to catch up on.

It seems to me that there is still a lot of work to be done before IPv6 can be said to be the main protocol. Also, there seem to have been some errors of judgement along the way.

I think I will forget about IPv6 for now and carry on as I am. If I ever decide to move to a new ISP for whatever reason I will not worry about whether it supports IPv6 or not. From what I have gathered it seems that I will not miss out on much anyway.

Regards

Neil