[LUG] Asterisk - quiet caller on POTS line

Hi folks,

I'm having a few issues with Asterisk and I wondered if someone might be able to suggest any ideas how I might be able to solve it?

Basically we've got a machine running Asterisk with a Digium analogue card with two FXO ports and two FXS ports. The phones we use are Grandstream GXP1400/GXP1405 phones and one little Grandstream DECT IP phone (can't remember the model number off the top of my head).

The Asterisk box is connected to two BT lines which are located out in the middle of nowhere (well, at least a couple of miles outside of Totnes and what I suspect is a couple of bits of wet string). Due to the location we get a fairly low broadband speed and considering the other stuff we have going over the connection using VoIP probably wouldn't work too well (at least VoIP calls between sites as a test was hit and miss, sometimes worked, other times didn't), so until BT bring FTTC to the area we're a bit stuck with what we have. ISDN is a bit out of our budget too.

So the issue we're having is when someone calls in to the site, or someone calls out the volume of the caller at the office end in Totnes is quiet. We can hear who we are calling, or whoever calls in okay (we did have some echo issues but I think we've kind of solved them).

We're using Asterisk SVN-branch-1.8-r383667 built from source with Dahdi 2.6.2 also built from source on Debian 6.0.7.

I've tried adjusting the txgain in chan_dahdi.conf and it doesn't seem to make much if any difference (I've also restarted dahdi and Asterisk after making the changes). It's currently set at txgain = 22.0 (I wasn't sure how high to put it to).

As a last resort we've tried an analogue phone and that does seem a bit louder, so this makes me think there is something happening in the phone system to cause it. At the moment the phone system is in the office and connected via some CAT5 cable to the phone lines which terminate in the next office (well one does, the other terminates at another location and is on a long extension cable).

So I'm stumped, does have any suggestions on how much I can try and make lines a bit louder?

Ta,

Rob