[LUG] Bootable USB device created with dd not recognized by other systems

I have an ISO image that I want to mount onto a USB stick.

So I plug the stick into a Opensuse box, make sure it's unmounted and I run

  dd if=filename.iso of=/dev/sdx bs=1M

and when it's done and I mount the device again, the device is
recognized and has the right files on it.

However, if I then boot a machine from that USB, booting fails as the
device is not recognized. (The ISO is bootable.) Moreover, when I plug
the device into a Windows box, it says the device needs to be mounted.

I've got the very same issue with two different USB sticks, at least
one of which I've used in the past to boot machines from. Both sticks
are a few years old, so it could be a hardware issue, though in that
case I'd have expected for dd to fail.

Any thoughts?

Martijn.

PS the ISO contains VMware ESXi 5.something, in case that matters.