Re: [LUG] OT surveillance

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 8:09 PM, bad apple wrote:
> In essence: virtually everything is captured live, sure. But the vast
> majority of it is only decrypted and processed afterwards, depending on
> *insert unknown GCHQ/NSA policies here*.
>
> Hopefully that makes this clearer - at least my take on it.

Sure. That's more or less what I assume to happen as well.

I'm just curious how you think having the root keys of CAs would help
them decrypt traffic, either in real-time or later on.

They might have access to the private SSL keys of Facebook, Yahoo,
Google etc. - I agree that would decryption pretty easy. However, it's
good to point out that the encryption Google uses generates a unique
server-side key for each session. So I wouldn't know how they get
around that, other than by having a backdoor installed.

> PS> Disclaimer - I most definitely don't work for these guys, so
> obviously, this is nothing more than educated musings!

Neither do I, of course. I can't but make some educated guesses about
what we, erm I mean they are doing. :)

Martijn.