Re: [LUG] FW:

On 16/06/13 11:10, Daniel Robinson wrote:
> I clicked, stupidly - as i thought i could trust links submitted by the
> list and i thought at the time it could have been of interest to me.
> Fortunately avg thwarted it and i was able to click back.
> If we are going to link malware and the such could we please advise others
> what we are clicking. Ta

Looks like someone learnt a lesson today, my friend. Don't EVER click on
any link, from any source, that you are not willing to take the
responsibility for when it eats your data, destroys your computer and
sets fire to your cat.

On the internet there is no such thing as trust, unless perhaps you are
utilising full-on encryption with a small group of people completely
known to you and with whom you have exchanged asymmetric keys.

If you are using a Windows computer - which evidently you are - and
clicking on random links in a mostly unvetted mailing list, you need to
do some serious re-evaluating.

Pro tips:

Remove AVG from your system immediately, it is a clusterf*ck and
completely useless. You evidently have the link scanning component
operational as well, which actually makes my head hurt. What are you
thinking? I regularly evaluate and compare tens of antivirus and
security software products in the Windows ecosystem from freebies to
enterprise level big bucks solutions and like to think I'm a bit of an
expert in the area. Trust me: whilst AVG isn't quite as awful as Norton
it's very close, and equally as resource-sucking and intrusive. Purge it
from your system (doesn't matter if you paid for it and have months left
on your subscription: accept it as wasted money and move on) and get the
Microsoft Security Essentials package straight from their website. It's
free, low in resource demands and hands down the best all-purpose
security tool on Windows short of the really serious stuff. Keep it up
to date, get a bit smarter about your browsing habits and you're good to
go. You'll save money, be just as safe and your computer will run
faster. You can thank me later :]

Install a hypervisor of some kind, if you haven't already got one.
VirtualBox, the free VMWare Player, Hyper-V (if you're on Win8) or
whatever else you fancy. Slap a quick install in it - even a Windows VM
is fine - and use that for hardened browsing. Ideally you'll get the
preferably Linux VM fully updated and pimped up with Tor, adblocking,
etc and then you simply snapshot in a known-good configuration. Fire it
up whenever you want to check dodgy links, test software of dubious
origin, etc, safe in the knowledge that when you've finished you can
shut down the VM and restore it automatically to it's pristine,
uninfected state by discarding all post-snapshot changes.

Whilst we're at it, immediately disable WPS on your router and kill the
UPnP service with fire: do your port forwarding manually.

This is all Security 101, aka: "check yourself before you wreck yourself".

AVG indeed... I'm still chuckling.

Regards