Re: [LUG] OT French camp site internet

On 13/06/13 15:10, tom wrote:
> On 13/06/13 14:54, George wrote:
>> I'm on my annual "Living away from home in a caravan in Europe" trip
>> and reading about the Hotel internet system made me think about my
>> internet access on French camping sites so far.
>> Every site seems to require you to open a browser window to log onto
>> their system. Most require a password, even if free. Some are free
>> access but only around their reception area. Some are site wide but
>> will charge something like 4 Euros a day, or perhaps 2 Euros for an
>> hours connection that you can log onto and off, so spreading the
>> hour. Some are free all over but site coverage is iffy.
>> One guy on a site providing free coverage told me that if I opened a
>> browser on a site with adverts their system would not log in as it
>> timed out while the site was looking for an advert.  He said use
>> Google.com as it doesn't have any ads. Also, forget using an Apple
>> device.
>> The one I'm on at the moment in Paulo del Vidre (Catalan for Palace
>> of Glass) near the Spanish border is the best I've come across as it
>> is site wide but totally free, log on to one of 3 transmitters, no
>> password required.  Unfortunately in 2 days time they change to a new
>> system, better cover apparently, first half hour per day free then
>> you pay. I guess I can live with that.
>>
>> I use Thunderbird  for email with IMAP.  Using dodgy connections, the
>> biggest problem is if you are writing a mail and the connection drops
>> then you get a message saying the mail cannot be saved.  It does not
>> allow other than saving online so if you cannot revive the connection
>> you are likely to lose what you have written.  I can write the email
>> in a text editor and copy to send but it's a faff. Any way of setting
>> up an offline mode under IMAP to write then log-on to send?  I assume
>> this wouldn't happen if I was using POP.
>>
>> BTW The British Caravan Club and The Camping and Caravan Club
>> internet charges are extortionate and coverage on sites is generally
>> poor.
>>
>> George
>>
>> George
>>
> Re thunderbird - mine allows me to save locally.
> Tom te tom te tom

Yes, mine does as well for all of IMAP and POP accounts I use under it -
there is a local "drafts" folder that your currently composing email
should be autosaved into even if the upstream connection is bad.

Have a look in the settings/prefs George, it may be an option you need
to select or tune, although I don't remember having to do so with mine.

Regards