Re: [LUG] Flat-file database

On 06/06/13 17:54, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
On 6 June 2013 17:41, Grant Phillips-Sewell
<dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 6 June 2013 17:21, Philip Hudson <phil.hudson@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:phil.hudson@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        On 6 Jun, 2013, at 4:48 pm, Neil Winchurst wrote:

            Kexi

        Ah-ha! That looks like it might be the lead I wanted. Hopefully
        my use case is so trivial that I won't bump up against any of
        the limits and problems that you found. Thanks Neil.

    When I looked at Kexi for a minimal database (multiple tables,
    simple relationships, simple forms, etc) it seemed like the most
    appropriate. I fully agree regarding LOBase - horrible, horrible,
    horrible!

    The biggest problem I bumped into with Kexi is importing data from a
    spreadsheet to be appended to an existing table. Nightmare. If
    you're bringing the data in from a spreadsheet, do it once and them
    stop using the spreadsheet completely! I also found Kexi wasn't too
    enamored with the idea of user-created primary keys - even if you
    *know* the data in a given field is completely unique, it still
    might just throw a wobbly and refuse to key it, insisting that it
    creates the key instead.

    Other than that, I quite like Kexi. This also looks quite
    interesting: http://www.glom.org/

Except, it seems that Glom is dead in the water. *sigh*

Grant.

When I was researching databases in Linux I came across glom. My advice, for what it is worth, is don't bother.

Neil