Re: [LUG] IPv6 tunnelling

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> Why not just pay a few quid more and get an ISP that already does it
> natively?

Because this is for work. If I needed to, I could probably argue for
us to change to a provider that does IPv6. But that's complicated for
a number of reasons. And I don't really need IPv6. I just want to. To
test some things.

And in any case, I'm stuck with BT for the moment.

Still, it's pretty bad that BT doesn't offer this. On its business lines.

> So there are tunnel brokers - HE: http://tunnelbroker.net/ and SixXs:
> https://www.sixxs.net/main/ and others.

Thanks - to Anthony as well! These are useful.

Most of them seem to be tailored to enabling IPv6 on one machine, but
I'm sure I can find something about enabling it for the whole subnet
at once.

Also, at least tunnelbroker.net seems to block port 25 by default. I
want to test email, so I'd have to ask them to open that. Therefore:

> A plan B might be to rent a cheap co-lo somewhere that has native IPv6 and
> run your own tunnel to them. That won't change while you run the co-lo, but
> then all IPv6 traffic will be routed via them...

This might actually work as a quick solution. I've got a VPS
somewhere, which is IPv6 enabled. I could just forward a subnet of the
/64 they've given me though the tunnel. Yay! Good idea.

> Just remember - NAT won't save you from hackers - you need to use a firewall
> now...

Yep. With IPv6 all our devices are naked.

Martijn.