Re: [LUG] Picasa 3 causing lockups in Mint 14

On 26/05/13 22:20, bad apple wrote:
On 26/05/13 21:51, L Smith wrote:
I have had this same problem in Mate and now in XFCE, I start picasa then if I do
anything with it the computer stars running slowly then lock up and the only way out
is to switch the computer off .. any thoughts?

Thanks

Is your hardware relatively modern and decent? If Picasa is either
running it's initial default media scan or is spawning a lot of
intensive threads otherwise thrashing your disk(s) looking for files to
add, it could easily bring a weak computer to it's knees, especially a
weak one. It shouldn't actually 'kill' your computer though, no matter
how ancient it is.

Install htop from your distro repos, and run it in a shell window whilst
you start Picasa - watch what happens, it should be informative.

Also, don't just kill your PC when it becomes unresponsive - if you
can't switch to a different TTY and get a terminal (CRTL+ALT+F2) or SSH
in from another machine, this is what the magic SysRq key is for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

Regards

If find that when things go bad the key combo fails almost every time. SSH is one of the things I install first thing
Tom te tom te tom