Re: [LUG] Picasa 3 causing lockups in Mint 14

On 26/05/13 21:51, L Smith wrote:
> I have had this same problem in Mate and now in XFCE, I start picasa then if I do
> anything with it the computer stars running slowly then lock up and the only way
> out is to switch the computer off .. any thoughts?
>
> Thanks

Is your hardware relatively modern and decent? If Picasa is either
running it's initial default media scan or is spawning a lot of
intensive threads otherwise thrashing your disk(s) looking for files to
add, it could easily bring a weak computer to it's knees, especially a
weak one. It shouldn't actually 'kill' your computer though, no matter
how ancient it is.

Install htop from your distro repos, and run it in a shell window whilst
you start Picasa - watch what happens, it should be informative.

Also, don't just kill your PC when it becomes unresponsive - if you
can't switch to a different TTY and get a terminal (CRTL+ALT+F2) or SSH
in from another machine, this is what the magic SysRq key is for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

Regards