Re: [LUG] OT : but I'm very excited and needed to share!!!

Yes please.

Regards etc,
Ray.

39
>To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subj: Re: [LUG] OT : but
I&#39;m very excited and needed to share!!!

Tarver wrote:
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> This has quite a
significant link to Linux and html but I have still

marked it as off topic; but .....

>>> For my birthday
this year, my girlfriend is taking me to Switzerland

to visit the LHC at CERN!!!!!

>>> How *awesome* is
that!!! I am chuffed! I have wanted to go for a
>>> visit
for about a decade! lol.

>>> Has anyone been? Any top
tips?
>> I nearly went when I was working in High Energy
Nuclear Physics at IC
>> (6GeV max at the time) but did
not play my cards right and ended up at
>> Saclay (3.2
GeV). One of my colleagues went on to manage the earlier

>> version at CERN (30GeV single beam) for a while before
returning to IC
>> to head the Physics Department.

In am sure they will show you round and you'll see things
from vantage
>> points they will define whilst it is shut
down so there is no
>> potential exposure to radiation.
Lots of devices and shiny electronics
>> to see along with
Linux at work where there is processing power. Get
>> your
most important questions together as you may forget some in
the
>> excitement. Is there anything you particularly want
to see or ask
>> about? If you want to chat about Linux
and the management of vast
>> quantities of data and how
it is processed I am sure any mention of
>> using Linux
will get someone interested in showing off a bit.

Enjoy it and a very Happy Birthday in advance!

>> James

>Hi James,
>
>Thanks for that, sounds like you have
had a very interesting career! :-)
>When arriving at CERN
the topic I will know the least about is particle

>physics. I have however been fascinated since I breifly
studied it
>during my physics A-level in 1999!!. I am yet
to look on line, but if
>you know of a good introductory
particle physics book/site then that