Re: [LUG] OT : but I'm very excited and needed to share!!!

On 16/05/13 23:29, Roland Tarver wrote:
Hi Folks,

This has quite a significant link to Linux and html but I have still marked it as off topic; but .....

For my birthday this year, my girlfriend is taking me to Switzerland to visit the LHC at CERN!!!!!

How *awesome* is that!!! I am chuffed! I have wanted to go for a visit for about a decade! lol.

Has anyone been? Any top tips?
I nearly went when I was working in High Energy Nuclear Physics at IC (6GeV max at the time) but did not play my cards right and ended up at Saclay (3.2GeV). One of my colleagues went on to manage the earlier version at CERN (30GeV single beam) for a while before returning to IC to head the Physics Department.

In am sure they will show you round and you'll see things from vantage points they will define whilst it is shut down so there is no potential exposure to radiation. Lots of devices and shiny electronics to see along with Linux at work where there is processing power. Get your most important questions together as you may forget some in the excitement. Is there anything you particularly want to see or ask about? If you want to chat about Linux and the management of vast quantities of data and how it is processed I am sure any mention of using Linux will get someone interested in showing off a bit.

Enjoy it and a very Happy Birthday in advance!

James

--
James Kilty
www.jameskilty.co.uk