Re: [LUG] Being evil

On 18/05/13 11:43, Philip Hudson wrote:
> Microsoft’s Fake ‘Open Source’ Front is “Pushing Software Patents”
> (Updated)
>
> http://techrights.org/2013/05/17/outercurve-for-swpats-in-foss/
>
> --
> Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
> @UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63

Perhaps as there is now a exeter pi jam being planned,  a well presented
talk on this subject is in order,  it should cover what are patents,
what are software patents,  arguments used for and arguments against,
and be backed up by proper research links etc

It may not be directly PI related but as the pi is aimed getting kids in
to programming then understandng some of the issues faced by developers
such as this will hopefully educate people that software patents may
sound a good idea,  they are in fact the opposite, unless you have a
huge budget,  good layers and the money to throw at litigation rather
than research and development.

I will leave it open to those on the list who have more expertise,   but
talk of more formal events does strike me as being an opportunity for this.

Paul

http://www.zleap.net

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.