Re: [LUG] 12V PC revisited...

On 18/05/13 08:55, Mark Evans wrote:

SNIP

Stills: There are a LOT of "Wildlife cameras" that are fully self
contained. Run off batteries, take a shot (usually with white
light, which means it stands a good chance of being stolen itself
if it alerts the thief), store on SDcard. Probably not good unless
it can take a covert shot, and you don't need instant alerts.

It might work better with the lighting and the camera being separate.
Thus all that someone could identify would be the source of the flash.
Possibly not even then if several images were taken and they suffered
from flicker vertigo.

The LTL Acorn is battery powered, uses an SD card for storage, when triggered illuminates the subject with IR light outside the visible range, is camouflaged and takes video sequences if desired.

My real point is that we are in danger of re-inventing the wheel here, hardware is out there, at a price, which is already optimised for a very similar job.

The limitations are a) range and b) image quality. The ability to transmit images to your mobile/whatever is also available though I have no experience of this.

http://www.wildlifeservices.co.uk/trailcameras.html

If the sites are large &/or isolated one probably has to accept that intrusion will happen, like the rabbits in my garden . . . After all the villains continue to strip church roofs of lead.

GT