Re: [LUG] 12V PC revisited...

On 17/05/13 15:47, GT wrote:
On 17/05/13 14:39, tom wrote:
Some archaeologist friends are complaining about thieves who metal
detect at night.
My solution would be IR webcams (ie webcams with the IR filters removed)
a small PC running of battery/solar and a directional WIFI to send info
on certain motion detect signals. Stick something like that out of
normal reach and it should be possible to cover quite a large area and
volunteers could check streams and come and visit in the case of intruders.
Any ideas? An open solution to this could apply for all sorts of
situations.
Tom te tom te tom

1. Such a solution wouldn't stop such nefarious activities unless PC Plod recognised your mugshots and "apprehended the offender".
2.  An electric fence might help.
3. Another option would be a 'wildlife camera' which uses PIR techniques to trigger a photo/video, provides IR illumination for night use and even has a wireless capability to transmit photos to your mobile/whatever . . . . Look for Bushnel or LTL Atom which is enthusiastically supported by a certain Ron Bury. I have just had one watching the space under my garden shed - lots of mice, a rabbit or two and a cat which was a surprise since I have no near neighbours and have never seen a cat here during daylight hours.

GT

Its simple to convert a lot of webcams to pick up IR so at night they can, with motion detect, alert users something is hot where it shouldnt be. These users can then check the video streams and ignore rabbits/foxes birds etc but thieves with metal detectors can be spotted. We are talking areas that are open to the public during the day but being raided at night like the big abbys.
Tom te tom te tom