[LUG] Very slow ssh connection

(I wrote the post below yesterday, but using autocomplete rather
carelessly I didn't send it to the list but to one user.)

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 9:59 AM, I wrote:
> For the past few days, I've been experiencing very slow outbound ssh
> connections. They either don't work at all, or become unusable. That
> is, when I do get in, it takes forever for the pressing of a key to be
> recognised by the remote server. When I tail -f a log file, there
> doesn't appear to be a delay.
>
> I've tried four different servers, at three different providers, and
> they all have the same problem; I can also connect to these through my
> work's VPN just fine. Using that, I made ssh listen on another port,
> thinking that my provider (Demon) might be blocking something, but
> that doesn't make any difference.
>
> Internet itself works just fine.
>
> I've turned the machine off a few times this week (for other reasons).
> That didn't make a difference.
>
> I can also connect through tor. I haven't used ssh through tor often,
> but it works reasonably well - not worse than you'd expect through
> tor. I'd say this reduces the chances of this being an issue on the
> machine.
>
> Any thoughts?

Well, I'm pretty sure it was related to curl attempting to fetch a RSS
feed that was running in an infinite 302-redirect loop. Browsers, as
well as wget, just give up after a handful of times, but curl 7.22.0
apparently doesn't. At least not in this particular case.

Demon were rather helpful providing me with a graph of network usage
this morning, which showed me this was likely to be the cause - after
I had already noticed a lot of instances of a Perl script calling curl
had been running for ages.

Still not sure why it only caused problems some of the time - and why
it allowed me to do other stuff (including ssh via tor).

And let's just hope that particular site hasn't blocked my IP address
for DDoS'ing their server.

Martijn.