Re: [LUG] list at dcglug

On 10/05/13 23:39, Kevin Peat wrote:

> 1: "leading distributions shipping things which are beta quality at best"
>
> Use a different distribution then? There are thousands. Some are
> intentionally boring and stable (CentOS, Debian Stable, Slackware, etc)...

My point isn't that there are no stable distros just that the leading distros should be more stable than they are...

...and Slackware as a leading distro :)

Kevin

Going on my experience of some of the leading distros (well, Ubuntu and Linux Mint) they tend to just pile in the latest and greatest software, which I guess can be good in a way if you want the latest and greatest stuff. Maybe this is part of the problem, software changes so quickly (take Firefox for instance, it's on what, version 20?)... maybe sometimes it's better to choose something a little more stable that you know is going to give you a solid base, and if you need any newer packages maybe look at backports.

Rob (running on Linux Mint Debian Edition... based on Debian Testing, so can't really talk :-P)