Re: [LUG] list at dcglug

On 10/05/13 22:15, Kai Hendry wrote:
> On 10 May 2013 20:36, Kevin Peat <k@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> Rather than "Linux" being at fault isn't it more down to the leading
>> distributions shipping things which are beta quality at best and the tick
>> box mentality of adding extra features whether anyone wants them or not?
> No this is Linux's fault. For example on X200 suspend is just broken
> since 3.6.x. I think they use Thinkpads up on the ISS, so I guess they
> don't sleep? ;)

No to both of these things, it's *your* fault.

Linux isn't magic: it doesn't spring forth into the world completely
formed, perfect and flawless. It has to be manually created and
frequently reverse engineered into being. This is hard. Just like every
other operating system that ever has or ever will exist things will
sometimes break or not work as well as it might be desired. This is how
the world works. Behold, I shall now fix both your problems in order:

1: "leading distributions shipping things which are beta quality at best"

Use a different distribution then? There are thousands. Some are
intentionally boring and stable (CentOS, Debian Stable, Slackware, etc)
and don't have any beta software to scare you. Alternatively, you could
just remove features you don't like and replace them with others: this
is linux after all, it's kind of the point you can do anything you want
with it.

2: "on X200 suspend is just broken since 3.6.x."

Use a kernel < 3.6 then, nobody is making you install that version. Or
just maybe the astronauts know how to use Google, look what appears as
the third result for "x200 linux suspend":
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_X200. I quote:
"Suspend to RAM is working out of the box with the standard Arch Linux
kernel after installing pm-utils from extra." The current Arch kernels
are 3.9 and 3.10, considerably later than 3.6.

Now, that was hardly rocket science was it?

Regards