Re: [LUG] Ubuntu 13.04 Nvidia screen tearing

On 09/05/13 06:48, tom wrote:
> I had a GEforce 7x - thats the one that fried itself. I don’t want
> anything particularly flashy - just something that would work faster
> than my CPU could do it! This things got a GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a
> on board and now its working it seems to be fine.
> Re my 4 core - it used to run fine until the 12.04 upgrade. I used to
> run folding@home all the time and get 13Gflops out of it but after the
> upgrade to 12.04 I cant get the fan to spin up when needed. Pre 12.04
> still works but its the 'family' computer and until I get a stable
> replacement must not be taken out with fiddling!
> Tom te tom te tom

Have you got lm-sensors, pm-utils and powermgnt-base installed? You
could also look into fancontrol, which is more normally used to throttle
back over-eager fans to save noise, but you might want to tweak it the
other way.

Ah, Ubuntu, what it giveth it shall also taketh away.

I've just noticed another weird bug on my 13.04 system where hitting the
power off menu in gnome-shell only brings up the old 60 second count
down to shutdown menu about half the time - the other half it just
brings up a dialogue to power off immediately or cancel, and if you hit
cancel, all further possibilities of logging off, restarting or shutting
down from the GUI hang interminably when selected. Last night I had to
CTRL+ALT+F1 to another TTY and issue 'shutdown -hP now' just to put the
thing to bed. Grrr.

Regards