Re: [LUG] Mythtv and internet connected TVs

On 05/05/13 14:41, Simon Robert -Cottage wrote:
On 02/05/13 00:58, bad apple wrote:
For example, on the very rare occasion I want
to watch something on C4 On Demand - which absolutely does *not* work on
Linux
I find absolutely no problem with C4, not that I want to watch competitive cooking or property porn...

My desktop is I think a bog standard kubuntu one with the medibuntu repo stuff added, certainly did nothing special to make this stuff work.

On DRM and streaming there is this from The Register

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/03/mozilla_otoy_announce_orbx/

Of course I don't really want to even pay for a TV licence, but in principle accept creators should get paid and that really and truly I should stump up a few quid (just so long as it's by series/episode/etc). But this looks like a form of DRM I could live with. It looks like stuff could be copied and even shared with friends, but one stands the possibility of being nuked if you seed it to TPB.

I wait to be shot down...

I don’t want to pay the TV license - but it is a lot cheaper and better than the alternatives.
The thing about DRM is it doesn’t work - its  a sticking plaster on a business model with serious heart and lung disease. Watermarking sounds OK but if you get some malware on your PC that downloads and distributes content the above business model will come to you for its revenge and make your life hell until (IF) you can prove you weren’t at fault. It doesn’t solve the problem of someone thinking they can use public space privately.
Tom te tom te tom