Re: [LUG] WWW turns 20

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013, Martijn Grooten wrote:

Today.

That is, the _open_ WWW turns 20; there had been some proprietary
predecessors. Which makes it all the more reason to celebrate for us.

I don't think "Gopher" was proprietary (nor FTP). I remember using it and the Archie search service before http.

1992 was a pivotal year thogh - that's when Al Gore opened up the Internet at the time to commercial traffic and that's when things really started. I was working for a comping in Bristol at the time and it worked out cheaper for us to use our existing Uk/US link (64Kbps!) and get the US office connected to the Internet there than to try to get the UK office connected! (We had a 9600 baud x25 PSS link at the time)

Gordon