Re: [LUG] Email encryption, was Re: www.dcglug.org.uk

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Philip Hudson wrote:
> OK, I guessed wrong, you aren't clear on the web of trust.

I think I am pretty clear on it. At least you didn't write anything
that's new to me. (I know I was generalizing when I said that the CA
infrastructure was like the web of trust. There are important
differences, and the CA infrastructure would probably work better if
it were more web of trust-like.)

I think the web of trust is a great thing. It works well in things
like the Debian community, as Neil's example showed.

But this discussion started when someone mentioned that email traffic
between banks and their clients should be encrypted. I pointed out
that authentication, rather than encryption is the main problem here.
(Heck, you can already send SMTP over a TLS-encrypted connection.) I
do not think that a web of trust is a solution here, for the very
reasons you pointed out.

That's all.

Martijn.