Re: [LUG] Email encryption, was Re: www.dcglug.org.uk

On 27/04/13 22:37, Martijn Grooten wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 10:14 PM, Daniel Robinson wrote:
>> Please, as a Lug with a web site and an active community, can we come
>> together as a group and create some sort of agreed way to send emails so
>> that they are encrypted as a group. Lets discuss this as a separate mail or
>> why not create a forum topic for it, hell why not create a poll for us to
>> look at to agree or disagree to add such a topic to the forum.
> What purpose would using email encryption have? More precisely, what
> individual or entity do you think we should prevent from reading the
> list emails? And how are we going to ensure they don't join the list,
> which is open, so that they can read the emails anyway?
>
> There are several cases in which email encryption can be useful, and
> some in which it is essential. But using it just because encryption
> seems good is a waste of resources, and gives a false sense of
> security.
>
> Martijn.

Not only that, but the list is archived what would end up in the archive
? an encrypyed e-mail

I can understand say sending encryped emails to each other if passing on
Private or confidential information. Or maybe even an address as this
would be sent off list to an individual anyway.

I can understand the use of gpg for making sure the person who sent it
IS that person but again this is not quite appropriate for this list,
we are a casual, group of people not a huge organisation.

I am sure we have had info on gpg before on the website but as people
have said there is enough info out there AND I would guess gpg to be
really secure needs you to sign the key,  and verifiy the person with
that key is that person,  hence discussions of keysigning, where you
turn up witjh your  passport + key printed out,  and the person you give
that key to can id you using you passport,  then when they get to their
computer they can click a higher trusted box for that individual.

Maybe that is something for a future lug meet, but if you are interested
a talk can perhaps be arranged and a key signing session can take place
the meeting after,  provided people are able to get to a meeting.

All we need for a talk is a suitable venue / room

Paul