Re: [LUG] www.dcglug.org.uk

On 27 April 2013 20:45, Daniel Robinson <manipula@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear GLUG.

You are correct, we were DCLUG previously. The change was made quite some time ago to reflect the GNU aspect of this - let us not forget that GNU have provided much more than just Free Software to the world, they also gave us the GPL.

I am really bothered with our website, it is hideous, do we have a project running in the background somewhere of a work in progress or a variation of the theme.

It is, isn't it. We are all to blame in part. The facility is there, and if you are clued-up on Drupal, you can make it work... but I would agree that our current setup is less than ideal.

* I want to see forums,

This has been debated repeatedly over the years. I doubt it is going to happen any time soon as there would be quite a split between the activity of the mailing list and the fora.

* yourname@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (user email forwarding) hashed

Hmm... I can see the value of this, but potentially the increased administrative hassle would outweigh any benefits.

* Why do we not have (drupal - books/story) type pages for each area meetings, (Exeter, Paignton, Plymouth, etc.) Pictures, Topics, PI, GamingOnLinux, etc etc etc...
* Easy to find details for both old and new IRC chat channels (please stop talking about this as there are two IRC chat channels and I want to be in the one I have been in this decade and the new one too neither of which i can find - Also neither side has been right in the recent debates in the mailing list) S.U.M.O!

Not really sure what the problem is here. We have had some heated discussion about our IRC lately. The outcome is that we are now using freenode#DCGLUG.

* I see some people on the list like to encrypt their emails, I sure wish I was, why do we not have detailed security tutorials on PGP, Backup, Mirroring, Details on router settings, secure wifi setups, etc etc etc...

Good idea!

We would all like to learn more and share our knowledge but as of yet we do not have a platform in which to do so. Surely amongst us there are people who are just itching to do something about these issues that i have mentioned, I could mention more, I would like this topic to roll so that the group can openly discuss the web site and how we can make it a group website for everyone.

I couldn't agree more.

Grant.