Re: [LUG] get_iplayer streaming

On 26/04/13 18:18, Simon Robert -Cottage wrote:
> I'm pretty much linux savy, but though I am OK with command line, it's
> just the stuff I need to use though, and the distros I use are easy
> ones which install codecs and have gui for everything. ? Life is too
> short for making simple stuff work. SSH and openVPN I am ignorant, but
> then I never actually investigated, will these be possible on wifi
> provided by the apartment downstairs? Last time I was there the
> landlady tried to hide the wifi, (works only with windows, ha ha)
> after we downloaded 3 series of Fawlty Towers even though BG ISP's is
> supposed to have no data limits.
>
> Would your suggestion involve routing through my UK desktop PC? 'cos
> this is not possible. I'll be away too long for this, the power goes
> down in this village every time it rains... and no-one will switch my
> PC back on.
>
> Is there a LUG in Sofia? OK, google

Hmm, it doesn't sound like connecting back to your own machine is really
a realistic option for you then, and renting, configuring and hooking up
through a third party VPS/VPN might be a bit of an ordeal as well if
you're going to be away for less than a month. Additionally, if you
don't have any control over your access point once you're there then
logging into it as admin to setup the various port-forwards you'll
require is also going to be a fatal problem. Perhaps you could put a
positive spin on this: when you get back you'll have lots of stuff to
download and catch up on maybe?

I think the only actual help I can offer is that you should be able to
configure your PC's BIOS settings to automatically switch itself back on
after recovering from a power outage, it's a standard setting on most
machines.

Regards