Re: [LUG] get_iplayer streaming

On 23/04/13 14:22, bad apple wrote:
On 23/04/13 12:51, Simon Robert -Cottage wrote:
Does anyone know how to get streaming to work?
Right, I've been fiddling with this for 20 minutes now and although I
use get_iplayer frequently to download stuff, I'll be damned if I can
get any live stream whatsoever to work. Actually, I can't get any
content at all to pipe directly into a media player despite extensive
googling and forum surfing:

get_iplayer --type=livetv --get "BBC Two" –stdout –nowrite | mplayer
-cache 512 -

is the regular stanza quoted in most documentation and secondary
sources, and it's definitely broken. I have tried a lot of different
variations, fiddled with every option and then just ignored the lot and
relied on my own ninja skills to do it from scratch by myself, which
usually works, but it hasn't here. I can't even get live radio to pipe
into a player, let alone TV.

'Cos it's my day off I can't be bothered breaking out wireshark but I
highly suspect that the BBC have somehow gimped the HTML stream again:
they frequently change things behind the scenes, and rarely for the better.

If anyone has any more luck than me I'd like to see their method out of
pure curiosity as I think this is currently not - trivially - possible.

God damn it BBC, I want my £145 back.

Regards

Thanks for your efforts. I now recall the last time I tried I did point vlc at the file and got about 2 seconds of the iplayer intro "ting de ting" thingy. Oh well UK VPN then - any recommendations?

I may be being totally obtuse, but I didn't notice any huge change of subject and breach of "netiquette". The replies seemed helpful to me and too the point - except the pointless ones about netiquette.

Thanks

Simon