[LUG] Free versus usurping [was: Another example of open vs closed source]

On 21 Apr, 2013, at 1:01 pm, Martijn Grooten wrote:

So the
fact that something is open source doesn't mean it will be without errors,
or that these errors will be spotted easily.

On both of which counts it is exactly equal to non-free code.

The difference is that in free code, I (or someone who's smart, possibly paid by me) can do the spotting, make the necessary changes, use the amended software, notify authors and others, and pass it on, without asking anyone's permission.

That's the pure-logical difference. There's also the practical difference of scale: the free program can be examined by n users, where n has no upper limit, whereas by definition, non-free software can be examined by n - y users, where y is some very large integer representing arbitrarily interdicted users; AND in practice, the amount of such examination the soi-disant owner of the non-free program is prepared to pay for, accounted as pure non-revenue- generating cost, is always zero, to a first approximation.

You do see that, don't you?

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63