Re: [LUG] Sending emails

On 19/04/13 19:46, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Apr 2013, Brad Rogers wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 17:09:23 +0100
>> Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Neil,
>>
>>> Meanwhile, just out of interest, is there any significance in which
>>> port is set up? I don't really understand what difference it would
>>
>> Yes.  Port 25 is for plain SMTP.  Port 587 is for an SSL SMTP
>> connection.  If you connect on port 587 without using SSL, the send will
>> fail.
>
> That's not quite correct.
>
> In these enlightened days, port 25 is SMTP - that's for transfering
> email between servers. Port 587 is SUBMIT - that's the port you're
> supposed to use to submit email to a server to be sent.
>
> I encourage all my clients to use 587 these days - some ISPs may block
> direct outbound on 25 which is a PITA if you're need to send email
> without using your ISPs mail server.
>
> SSL/Encryption can be applied to either port.
>
> Gordon

And to add to the confusion, certain very large technology companies
with huge mail services (*cough* google *cough* yahoo) continue to
ignore the standards and do what they feel like, which is why there's a
currently roughly 50/50 split between:

SMTP SSL/TLS over port 465
SMTP with STARTTLS over port 587

Also, technically there's no reason why port 25 SMTP can't also use
encryption, either SSL/TLS or STARTTLS although personally I set up my
servers to accept SMTP with STARTTLS on 587 as god intended. Port 587
doesn't *require* encryption either, it's just become the accepted (and
sensible) standard practice.

Ah, email servers. Still confusing admins after all these years...

Regards