Re: [LUG] Sending emails

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013, Brad Rogers wrote:

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 17:09:23 +0100
Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Neil,

Meanwhile, just out of interest, is there any significance in which
port is set up? I don't really understand what difference it would

Yes.  Port 25 is for plain SMTP.  Port 587 is for an SSL SMTP
connection.  If you connect on port 587 without using SSL, the send will
fail.

That's not quite correct.

In these enlightened days, port 25 is SMTP - that's for transfering email between servers. Port 587 is SUBMIT - that's the port you're supposed to use to submit email to a server to be sent.

I encourage all my clients to use 587 these days - some ISPs may block direct outbound on 25 which is a PITA if you're need to send email without using your ISPs mail server.

SSL/Encryption can be applied to either port.

Gordon