Re: [LUG] More problems with my Linux

On 19/04/13 11:48, Simon Waters wrote:
On 19/04/13 10:47, Peter M Le Mare wrote:
Here I am again asking for help. A few days ago my Linux (Ubunto 12.04)
just crashed and it will not boot up again.
What precisely happens on boot?

You may need to disable the suppression of messages that Ubuntu think
will scare people less. Although in my experience it is far scarier if
it stops with no indication of progress.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/25022/how-to-enable-boot-messages-to-be-printed-on-screen-during-boot-up

May be handy to have a digital camera to hand when it boots in case it
doesn't spew a useful or comprehensible message.

I have another version on a
separate disk and after secveral attempts I have booted up with this and
by accessing sideways all the documents etc. are there.
Suggests the disk and file system are fine so probably some minor tweak
is needed to get it all working again.

Thanks for all your replies so far. Reference to the one above. After the initial bios boot it appears that the hard discs starts to boot the OS flickering for a second or so but doesn't continue and the screen is completely black. Then the monitor shows "out of range" which is normal when booting up but even after a long time it goes no further and I have to close down on the start button or control alt delete.

Everything is fine when I get to the other system by going to the other hdd under computer - home - other name (peter12), and all accesible files are there. Some or one, where on the first window on the other system, should be the Thunderbird address file but I can't identify it or boot it up to copy. As you say I am sure that it just needs some sort of tweak. Long ago on MsWindows there was often a rescue part on the cd. but I don't seem to find anything like that on the Ubunto disc. I thought that maybe if I booted up with the cd it would maybe jerk it back into life.

What file is the actual boot up file (usually called an executable file - I think) and how do I activate from the other hard disc? Or how do I restore the boot up file?

Or can I just boot up the Thunderbird and get to the address book? Luckily I have most of this years emails as I have saved them on my server and they just downloaded into this one.

Life love peace and freedom
Pete Le M

PS could it have been a virus? It hasn't actually destroyed any files that I can tell.