Re: [LUG] UEFI _ a problem in Linux

On 18/04/13 19:06, bad apple wrote:
Almost - the requirements are different for ARM-based machines running
WinRT but the requirements for the win8/UEFI situation on x86/64 is that
the secure boot *must* be possible to disable: not "if the manufacturer
can be bothered to enable the feature", but *must*. I don't know why
everyone has such a hard time understanding this as it seems to be one
of the core problems people have with UEFI, and it's one that doesn't
actually exist.
Yep I remember reading something about Windows RT. Saying that with Android tablets seemingly coming out from every manufacturer under the sun, I guess if I was going for a tablet I'd probably get an Android tablet and maybe look at trying to get a general Linux distro running (I guess that's pretty limited at the moment though).

You are at least partly right about the anti-piracy feature though - a
little tool called "windows loader" has been very popular recently with
pirates as it uses exactly the trick you described (SLIC injection) to
flawlessly activate win7, vista and the server builds. I'm pretty sure
that was starting to piss Microsoft off...

Ahh I've heard of the Windows Loader type program, never used it and I wasn't sure about if it would work with Windows 8. Maybe though some folks who pirate Windows might decide to just try Linux now :-)

Rob