Re: [LUG] UEFI _ a problem in Linux

On 18/04/13 18:50, Rob Beard wrote:

As far as I understand it, a requirement of getting hardware 'certified'
by Microsoft to be ready for Windows 8 manufacturers must have a UEFI
firmware on the machines with Secure Boot enabled. I also gather that it
should be possible for the end user to disable secure boot to be able to
boot other operating systems.

I suppose this is where it is useful to be a non Windows user like me. I have no interest whatever about getting hardware certified for Windows 8 or any other version.

However it's down to the manufacturer to make it possible to disable
it.  I've not really looked into the whole thing about what individual
distros are doing, I gather that RedHat/Fedora have a solution as does
Canonical with Ubuntu, but I don't have a Windows 8 machine to hand to
test it out on, possibly when I buy a new machine it might come with
Windows 8 pre-installed (not sure yet, really depends on what hardware
is available when I decide to upgrade my laptop... if I go for a desktop
machine I'll build one from scratch).

I am not up for building my own desktop, I do however use a company that will build one to order. As regards laptops, some suppliers will sell them without any OS installed.

I'm sure as machines come out thousands of Linux users will be testing
hardware and we'll soon find out which manufacturers are allowing Secure
Boot to be disabled or not.

That is what I am hoping too,

Neil