Re: [LUG] surveillance

On 15/04/13 23:55, Simon Robert -Cottage wrote:

> My attitude to this stuff is a big "so what", "what do you expect".
> Encryption, can't be bothered with that. The content of my e-mail is so
> mundane, repetative and uninteresting to anyone else....

It is interesting to marketing, since it denotes your interests, and
needs, and allows them to target you more precisely.

> Yes I could use an ad blocker, but I'd have to turn it off every time I
> read The Guardian on-line, often, as I like The Guardian and with
> falling print readership etc. ads and targeted ads is what keeps it
> going. I don't want them to have to move to a subscription model or even
> worse go bust.

There is a point to be made that you don't need to run Javascript or
Flash in someone's browser to deliver adverts and count them. I don't
block ads, I'm not bothered about ads, my brain filters them well enough
unless they are overly intrusive. However analytics, and many types of
ads are overly aggressive in what they demand of my browser. I think
there are technical, and security issue, aside from matters of privacy,
which mean we probably all ought to be considering things like NoScript
as standard browsing behaviour.

Cisco recently reported that ads are a significant part of the online
malware problem, but I think more generally people accepting advertising
onto their website are ceding control of the content of the site to the
advertisers, as people accepting social medial javascript snippets etc
are ceding control to those groups.

It is also impossible for you to assess how well a given sites
advertisers filter ads, so you kind of have to assume the worst. I'm
reminded of an incident not so many years ago when the default Microsoft
site set in IE in some MS Windows installs was running adverts that
tried to exploit IE, so you could get owned by opening the browser to
run Windows Update. Guess it is good it is now an application and not
just a website.

There is a financial pressure to grab more data from adverts, and make
them more intrusive, so the incentive works one way to our detriment
until it becomes a problem and is reeled in for a bit. I believe even
the author of NoScript himself is not immune to such financial
pressures. So until we change the game, I expect this one will go around
and around.

> If it gets to the point where the possibility of having our e-mail read
> is a problem, then that will be the least of our problems....
> proportionality....

I think we've already past that point, or perhaps I believe too much I
hear watching Hope conferences.

When it is purely marketing, then I'm relatively relaxed. But the powers
that be combine marketing data with other data, to build fuller profiles
as needed.

It is all fine whilst you are on the right side of the powers that be.

It falls down horrendously when you aren't, and that might be as simple
as your mobile phone being near the scene of a serious crime, or
happening to be associated with two people who have conspired together
to commit a crime.

Here in lies the problem, that data can be misleading or throw false
positives, and often the people doing the analysis suffer the usual
human frailties with regard to understanding statistics (memories of Sir
Roy Meadow's infamous, and very obvious to me with my A levels in maths,
mistake springs to mind). With enough data they'll be able to make
unusual connections to all events, many of which will be incidental to
the matter of interest, and for which they may not have a good idea of
the base rate.

On the other side, like you, I'm fairly relaxed on the social media
side. Whilst we have a basically honest democratic government, my mostly
vague liberal ideas will likely not get me into political trouble at
home. And the government probably don't care too much about my interest
in chess, and skepticism. Governments can change their stripe.