Re: [LUG] surveillance

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I have relations in the US. They tell me that everyone there is under
> surveillance all the time (via the internet and CCTV) and that a lot of what
> they think is their private business is anything but. It is not just the
> government, many companies are watching too, mainly to be able to offer the
> sort of items that are aimed directly at what someone likes. And how do they
> know that? By storing information about one's buying habits.

I don't have a problem with targeted ads. In fact, I'd rather see ads
that are somewhat relevant to me.

The fact that to do so, companies have to build a profile based on
your browsing/shopping habits, is more of a concern, especially given
the fact that some governments (in particular the US) can easily
access that data if they need to.

> It makes me wonder how bad things are over here in the UK. It is not just
> Facebook and Twitter, although they seem to be among the worst offenders.

I don't know if that's true. The worst "offenders" tend to be smaller
companies (small-ish ISPs, web shops) who, when the government demands
data, don't have the resources to find out if the government has
followed the correct procedures to obtain that data, and just hand it
over. Not sure about Facebook, but Twitter has a pretty good
reputation when it comes to not just handing over anything the US
government asks for.

They are, of course, obliged to adhere to US laws, which don't make it
too hard for the government to obtain the data. And they do have a lot
of data on you, if you have an account.

Martijn.