Re: [LUG] Uptimes

On 09/04/13 16:08, Simon Avery wrote:
> Not bad. I can't beat this, can anyone else?
>
> http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1199529

Back in the hospital we had a Sun Fire 25k beast back in the days, which
ran non-stop for years and years - it had hot swap everything, you could
literally pull system boards, I/O boards, power supplies, any part of it
at all for any reason and it would just keep running. Amazing piece of
kit, but it certainly didn't manage 16 years of uptime. Was turned off
finally because it just wasn't very powerful compared to modern x86_64
commodity hardware and it used more electricity than the LHC.

Ksplice can apply kernel patches without rebooting, so if you're either
on Oracle Linux (they bought the company a while back) or a supported
other OS, you don't actually need to reboot for kernel patching anymore.

Cheers