Re: [LUG] Home server

On 06/04/13 17:06, Simon Avery wrote:
Neil,

I'm going to make it difficult for you now and disagree with BA. :)
(This won't be the last time you're offered conflicting advice btw)

Yes, virtualisation has its merits - snapshotting being very high on the
list and useful in experimentation, and portability of clients between
hosts another.

The downsides: At least two operating systems to admin and maintain and
less efficient (more ram/cpu/hdd needed for the same bang). It's also
another technology to learn with its own complexities and mistakes to
make, and on top of learning the server side of things it's unnecessary.
You can learn it later and get more performance out of your hardware for
less money in the meantime. (Also, I could probably make a reasonable
case that running a host on a client wastes more electricity, since
there is more cpu required to do the same thing so it steps up more
often. In reality, this wouldn't amount to more than a quid or two a year.)

For a simple home server, I really don't think it's needed, unless you
plan on doing something unusual.

I refer you to an earlier comment: Listen to advice and ignore what you
like, including this :)

Conflicting advice, why am I not surprised? I do wonder about the virtualisation route, it seems to add an extra layer to it all. I have used VBox quite a lot so the learning curve would not be too bad.

More research,  sigh

Neil