Re: [LUG] Fwd: Question for the LUG

On 29/03/13 19:55, Matt Lee wrote:
> UEFI machines need a 64 bit boot CD or DVD, also they need extra stuff
> on the disk.

Not true: they do need 'extra stuff' on the boot media certainly (mostly
in a folder called suitably enough, EFI) but 32/64bit X86, Arm and
Itanium are all supported targets on UEFI*.

> I believe Ubuntu 12.10, and latest Fedora and OpenSUSE have it. Not
> sure which Debian installer disk has it, but with this disk it should
> boot as expected.

Wheezy 7 beta 3** and Sid both have it.

> It's just a case of a new BIOS, and old media not supporting the system.

Yep, for older releases, this is true. Most UEFI implementations support
fallback to old style BIOS emulation though, which will boot older
distributions. I did this just today, booting a UEFI enabled Asus
P8Z77-V system from an old Ubuntu 11.10 32bit live CD, just because it
was all I could get my hands on on-site for a memtest of a misbehaving
workstation.

Cheers

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface
** http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/News/2012/20121018