Re: [LUG] No OS PC from Ebuyer

On 15/03/13 10:12, Gordon Henderson wrote:

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013, alex mclennan wrote:

On 14/03/2013 19:55, Daniel Robinson wrote:
Ohh, bad choice of motherboard.

Ehh, nevermind!!!

a chap in a local computer shop to me just built a new machine using a biostar motherboard,it lasted 2 days,proving once again it pays to get a decent board from a good supplier.

I've always used Asus motherboards for all the desktops & servers I build myself.. Never had any real issues with them...

Gordon

I'll second Asus. I use them or buy kit with them in in preference and have no complaints.

I've just recently upgraded my office PC with a UEFI enabled Asus board and with hardly any BIOS fiddling got Ubuntu 12.10 to install without fuss. It seemed to recognise the fact that Win8 wasn't being used and sorted itself out - I guess that implied UEFI was switched off in the first place, a bit odd since it came with Win8 pre-installed*.

Regs
Martin
* Why Win8? Well partly to have a play, to see what would happen replacing it with Ubuntu and also to attempt to put it into a VM for client support in the future. I'll let the list know how much fun I had pushing the supplied Win8 into VMWare... Just getting hold of the license key was fun - they store it in the BIOS (for some OEMs at least)