Re: [LUG] Low Powered Computers

On 07/03/13 11:56, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Thu, 7 Mar 2013, Richard Brown wrote:

Hi All

3. A couple of large leisure batteries (for large read very heavy which I'm told is the lead). Not sure of the rating.

Leisure batterys are not necessarily higher rating than similarly sized batteries - in-fact they may even be lower, (although you'll find they're usually physically bigger than e.g. car batteries!) what they are good at is being drained lower than normal lead acid cells. They usually have thicker electrodes to prevent buckling. Typically used in caravans, etc. hence the term "leisure".

So they're better suited to long term use at lower currents - A typical leisure battery might not even have enough quick current capacity to start a car, but it would keep the fridge going longer than an equivalent sized car battery.

Of-course if you've drained them, then you need to charge them.....

Gordon

I thought they was called leisure batteries cos they generally had handles and were happy to be carried/jolted about for leisure activities.
Tom te tom te tom