Re: [LUG] Low Powered Computers

A sensible inverter will supply 240v and can be set to run allsorts.

If you want info on solar systems let me know.

On Mar 6, 2013 9:11 PM, "Paul Sutton" <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 06/03/13 17:15, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Mar 2013, Richard Brown wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys
>>
>> I have been looking at running the youth project completely off-grid.
>> We have obtained 4 solar panels and 2 large batteries. We hope to be
>> able to run a couple of computers along with wifi router off this
>> system. The obvious answer will be Raspberry PI. But does anyone know
>> of any computers that will run off a 12 volt system please? Does
>> anyone know of a low powered router or should we use a USB dongle?
>>
>> Does anyone fancy a lug day at the woods to possibly help set up the
>> PI or other computers etc? More than happy to provide food etc.
>
> I think you'll find that it's not obvious at all.
>
> Start by working out how long a car battery will run a Pi for. Assume
> 3 watts for the Pi.
>
> Then add on anything else - display, even LEDs, Wi-Fi, etc.
>
> Use cables for real low power.
>
> Then work out the average days of full sunshine - you'll need double
> the consumption to charge batteries and power the Pi's etc.
>
> You might find it's not that viable for anything other than a few days
> in the middle of summer...
>
> Gordon

What about powering monitors / displays ?

Paul

http://www.zleap.net
skype : psutton111

http://www.raspberrypi.org
http://www.ubuntu.com

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.