Re: [LUG] Low Powered Computers

On Wed, 6 Mar 2013, Björn Grohmann top-posted:

Hi Richard,

On 6 Mar 2013 17:12, "Richard Brown" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Guys

I have been looking at running the youth project completely off-grid. We
have obtained 4 solar panels and 2 large batteries. We hope to be able to
run a couple of computers along with wifi router off this system. The
obvious answer will be Raspberry PI. But does anyone know of any computers
that will run off a 12 volt system please? Does anyone know of a low
powered router or should we use a USB dongle?

Does anyone fancy a lug day at the woods to possibly help set up the PI or
other computers etc? More than happy to provide food etc.

When choosing an inverter to power computers it is a good idea to get the
"Pure Sine" type. The cheaper standard inverters are ok for lighting etc.
But for delicate electronics the clean output of a Pure Sine unit is a
must. I'm willing to help out if you're anywhere near me (Barnstaple)?

You really don't want to waste power here driving 230v stuff. Keep it all low voltage and use an off-the-shelf SMPS units.

(Not to mention the issues dealing with 230v outdoors)

ebay has lots of adjustable ones that work well from 3.3 to 18v and deliver anythning from 3.3 to 18v, or use something like:

http://uk.farnell.com/xp-power/sr10s05/switching-regulator-5v-1a-o-p/dp/1861095?Ntt=sr10s05

for the 5v stuff.

Gordon