Re: [LUG] NVidia drivers and Linux

On 13/02/13 19:56, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 18:28:47 +0000
> Keith Abraham <ka0147657@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello Keith,
>
>> drivers and no more faffing about trying to find a legacy driver which
>> works with your aging nvidia card.
> In Debian (again) there are legacy versions of the DKMS nVidia
> packages. ÂOnce you know which one you need (easily found out),
> everything just drops into place and works nicely. ÂAt least, in my
> experience(0).
Agreed. My own machine has Nvidia drivers and dkms keeps everything up
to date.

> (0) ÂI admit my experience is probably quite limited. ÂOnly ever had two
> computers that run Linux with an nVidia GFX chipset. ÂNeither has given
> me trouble.

The three other machines I maintain initially had Nvidia drivers. They
now use nouveau after Nvidia decided during the 304 driver series to
stop catering for the machine's rather ancient video cards. The machines
are meant to be up most of the day so admittedly I should have kept up
with Nvidia's news but I didn't. Therefore to avoid any future downtime
and the hassle it cost me it was easier to install nouveau and forget
about future driver problems.

Keith
All e-mails including their file attachments are scanned for viruses and
spam using Symantec's and ClamAV's scan engines.