Re: [LUG] Mint 14 install

Hi Tom,

Your suggestion of doing it via a terminal worked
fine.
Ctrl-Alt-F1 got me to the terminal via some iffy
error
messages, then I typed 'exit' to get back to
terminal
screen, typed 'startx' and up came the Linux
interface,
and the install completed.

Now working
properly complete with internet access,
I've just got me a
massive learning curve.

Regards etc,
Ray.

Message----
>From: tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Date:
11/02/2013 19:00
>To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subj: Re:
[LUG] Mint 14 install

19, raymond.knowles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> [...]

an HP Pavilion
machine.

all the usual things one
install. It picks up the correct
x 1024), correctly identifies network
the
screen ...

install, then goes no further.

?

Assuming you checked the disk for errors... And that you've
actually
>>> clicked the icon?
>>> Try running Mint from
the disk - rather than doing an install.
>>> Can you alt-f1
into a console?
>>> I'm noticing more and more duffness on
install disks these days - lack
>>> of drivers, stupid
presentations that donât work and kill the
>>> installetc
etc.
>>> Tom te tom te tom
>>>
>> We had this a few years
ago, at a lug meet I think rob suggested burning
>> a cd at
a lower speed,  either that copy to usb flash drive.   I
think
>> some of these live cd's are trying to do too
much,  and this is causing
>> problems (like tom said) but
this is having a negative effect on the
>> image of Linux
based systems,

>> Tom any particular patten to this, are
we looking at larger distros such
>> as Ubuntu, mint having
these issues,   ?

>> Paul
>>

>The CD's/DVD's are fine
- MD5 checks et ok.
>I've had trouble with mint 12/13/14
(64 bit) and (*)ubuntu from 11.10 32
>and 64 bit.
>A lot
of not getting hardware right - or the case of 12.10
xubuntu
>(64bit) there was a slideshow that crapped out on
AMD and took out the
>install process - you had to go to a
console and sudo app-get remove the
>slideshow and then it
worked but still got displays wrong - Nvidia but
>that
just what came with my PC's.
>Nvidia is to be avoided at
all costs but many other things that just
>worked no
longer do - my 4 core amd machine cant manage the cpu fan
and
>overheats when hammered but was fine up to 11.10
ubuntu.
>I havent the tenacity to fix these things any
more....