Re: [LUG] debian and wireless

So... I followed the steps... I look in synaptic and it shows me that the firmware is now installed..

I checked lsmod but couldnt see the device listed.

Any further tips appreciated

On Feb 10, 2013 8:36 PM, "Brad Rogers" <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 20:00:10 +0000
paul sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello paul,

>how do we link directly to the .deb packge, Âif you don't do things this

One doesn't usually. ÂOne uses apt(itude) or synaptic to get the
package. ÂNon-free may have to be added to the repository, as that's
where it's stored due to Debian policy.

As you say, all a bit tricky w/o a 'net connection.

It is possible to grab the .deb and create a local repo containing it,
but it's a PITA. ÂAnyhow, here goes.....

Grab file from
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/all/firmware-atheros/download, any of
the mirrors will do. ÂIt's a processor agnostic package, so .i386 .amd64
etc. don't come into it.

Create a directory called Debian, and within that directories binary and
source.

Copy the .deb you just d/l'd to the binary directory.

Add a line to /etc/apt/sources.list similar to this;

----

deb file:///home/brad/Data/Debian/ binary/

----

Change the path to reflect your situation.

Save this script somewhere;

-8X--

#!/bin/bash

cd /home/brad/Data/Debian/

echo "Generating indexes for your binary and source packages..."

dpkg-scanpackages binary /dev/null | gzip -9c > binary/Packages.gz
dpkg-scansources source /dev/null | gzip -9c > source/Sources.gz

echo "Index generation finished!"

-8X--

TBH, you could omit all the source stuff, I just do it for completeness.

Open a shell, CD to the Debian directory you created earlier and run the
script you just saved. ÂYou _don't_ have to be root to do this.

You'll see output similar to this;

Generating indexes for your binary and source packages...
dpkg-scanpackages: warning: Packages in archive but missing from
override file:
dpkg-scanpackages: warning: Â cogs iron64 skype swordsandsoldiers
zenbound2
dpkg-scanpackages: info: Wrote 5 entries to output Packages file.
Index generation finished!

Ignore the warnings, they're irrelevant.

Now update your repos with apt(itude) or Sypnatic according to
preferences and then install the firmware-atheros package.

All this, of course, pre-supposes Daniel can get a copy of the .deb
somehow.

--
ÂRegards Â_
    Â/ )      "The blindingly obvious is