Re: [LUG] raspberry PI MODEL A for same in Europe

On Mon, 4 Feb 2013, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:

The RaspberryPi's USB port(s) cannot supply enough power for most WiFi dongles. You can get low power ones, but for the most part you will need a powered hub. The wiki at elinux is a pretty good place to look for ideas on what works and what doesn't. I know this model is new, but I very much doubt it will provide significantly more power through the USB port.

The Rev 1.1 and Rev 2 boards (which includes the Model A) have more power supply capacity. They removed the polyfuses from the USB ports - so that problem has gone away. There is a list of verified wi-fi dongles on the Wiki now too.

There is still the polyfuse on the incoming 5v supply though, but I think they've upped it to about an amp now.

Gordon