Re: [LUG] raspberry PI MODEL A for same in Europe

The RaspberryPi's USB port(s) cannot supply enough power for most WiFi dongles. You can get low power ones, but for the most part you will need a powered hub. The wiki at elinux is a pretty good place to look for ideas on what works and what doesn't. I know this model is new, but I very much doubt it will provide significantly more power through the USB port.

Grant

----- Reply message -----
From: "Rob Beard" <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LUG] raspberry PI MODEL A for same in Europe
Date: Mon, Feb 4, 2013 16:34

On 04/02/13 13:21, paul sutton wrote:
> Its here
>
> http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3215
>
> if you want a model, A may be good for embedded systems,  once you have
> everything working on the B,  just switch the card over,  and i guess
> gpio and other bits connected to it.
>
> Paul

Â19.13 each from Element 14.  I'm tempted, I wanted to get one for my
daughter to use on her TV, she doesn't need Ethernet (she'll be using it
for BBC iPlayer on XBMC) so the saving could go on a USB remote, wifi
adaptor and if need be a powered hub (not sure if a single USB
connection would be enough to power the Pi, wifi adaptor and USB remote
dongle).

Rob