Re: [LUG] HDMI to DVI cable and code needed for Raspbery Pi.

--- On Sun, 27/1/13, Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [LUG] HDMI to DVI cable and code needed for Raspbery Pi.
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, 27 January, 2013, 10:55

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013, JOHN DAVEY wrote:

> Thanks for the replies. What's ss- X  ?

ssh -X user@hostname

it's a way of making ssh forward connctions to the local X server to the X server on the PC your ssh'ing from.

So if I ssh -X into one of my Pi's then type 'xterm' the xterm window will pop up on my desktop and not the display connected to the Pi.

X windows has been network-aware since day 1 and ssh -X is just a short-cut to doing most of the other arcane runes reuired to get X to display on a remote screen.

> I have just hooked one of Raspberrys (I bought two by accident) to the TV using the HDMI cable that came with the collection of bits that arrived. And....it doesn't work...nothing at all. JUst a blank screen. What am I doing wrong ?

Who knows.

Firstly the TV/Monitor *must* be turned on and "ready" before you power up the Pi. If it's not, then the Pi will default to composite output (you'll see (mostly americans) refer to this as "RCA", but we call it a phono plug)

If that's the case, then look at the "OK" LED. (to the right of the Red power LED) It ought to flicker during boot, then go off once booted. (it's the SD card access indicator by default) If it sits there flashing a code, then you need to lookup the wiki to work out what the code is.

If it's off, and as off as an off thing, then it's possible the Pi is dead. Make sure the SD card is plugged in, and if-so, then remove it, read it in another PC to make sure it's flashed OK, etc.

It if appears to boot OK and still no picture, then it's possible that th e TV isn't recognised - not all are. Then you might need to edit the config.txt file on another PC to set some modes - again the wiki has the details.

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting

Gordon

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

....great, what I was doing wrong with the TV was that I didn't have the TV set to HDMI before I plugged the Raspbery in. Yay we have a boot screen. I got to a page with some furthur choices on it but could'nt go any furthur because I only have a ps2 keyboard or the wireless USB kb which I guess will take some configuring before I can get it working properly.
THanks you to every who gave advice. I'm absolutly sure it's not the las help I will need....mabey it'll be prudent to join a Raspbery list somewhere. Is there local Raspbery lists or does this list automaticaly double up as one ?.....it could be the DCLRUG.....?? :)
jON.