Re: [LUG] HDMI to DVI cable and code needed for Raspbery Pi.

--- On Sat, 26/1/13, Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [LUG] HDMI to DVI cable and code needed for Raspbery Pi.
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, 26 January, 2013, 14:52

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013, tom wrote:

> On 26/01/13 13:30, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Jan 2013, JOHN DAVEY wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all , I have a Raspbery Pi which my wife doesn't want me to plug into the TV for obvious reasons...she can't watch the TV.
>>> I googled the problem, got the apropriate HDMI toDVI lead but paarently there's something else I need to do. THere is some code I need to change. I found the solution on the Raspbery site but I can't re-find it so I thought 'd ask here. Which bit of which dev/etc (or whatever) do I need to change....does anybody know.
>>> Thanks JOn DAvey.
>>
>> No code. Just an adapter unit. Buy them from your local TV shoppie for £20, Tesco for a tenner, or off amazon for under a fiver.
>>
>> e.g.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Male-HDMI-Female-Converter-Adapter/dp/B003VR8OZW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1359206912&sr=8-3
>> Or just don't bother and ssh into your Pi from your Linux PC and run simple aplications using ssh -X, or if you want a full desktop, then vncserver.
>>
> As a matter of interest - what sort of things don't work using ssh -X

Anything using the GPU.

It's only pure X programs that will work.

However - it's slow, as encryption on the Pi is relatively slow (compared to what we're used to on a modern desktop), so things that use e.g. SDL where you're effectively blitting a large framebuffer will be slow. I've found vncserver to be much faster as there is no encryption going on.

Gordon

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Thanks for the replies. What's ss- X  ?
I have just hooked one of Raspberrys (I bought two by accident) to the TV using the HDMI cable that came with the collection of bits that arrived. And....it doesn't work...nothing at all. JUst a blank screen. What am I doing wrong ?
JOn.